What do technical SEO website migrations cover?
This differs from project to project, but overall, they include ensuring every reasonable step is taken to eliminate the risk of losing traffic from organic search:
- A technical SEO specification for the new website at the planning stage (recommended)
- Technical SEO audit of the new website
- Organic keyword ranking checks before and after migration
- Google Search Console & Bing Webmaster Tools configuration
- Project management
- URL structure analysis and management (if necessary)
A new website should, in the vast majority of cases, mean an uplift in organic search traffic, if done to SEO best practice, taking advantage of new technology, combined with better design, and user experience (UX).
It is also a good idea that the SEO migration is carried out by an independent stakeholder in the development.
Our experience over the years suggests design & development agencies simply don’t have the necessary specialist knowledge, skills, or time to complete a risk-free SEO migration and at least maintain, if not grow, your organic traffic.